Bachelor in Civil Engineering (SDP)
Ba of Engineering
Tuition fee EU/EEA students:
Tuition fee: (specification)
Visa and Residence Permit:
This programme is a Final-Year programme aimed at students who already have a Bachelor's degree in a related field. The Dutch Civil Engineering sector is well-known throughout the world as a top-level profession. Our School is one of the most renowned Civil Engineering institutes in the Netherlands. Our students participate in many large projects such as the design of major European ports for which the School was awarded a European prize. The students work together with students from 10 other European countries.
At the World Exhibition 2000 in Hanover, Germany, where many countries from all over the world were present, our School participated in the Dutch project "Netherlands Make Space". We showed people around and explained all the particulars of our interesting Dutch pavilion at EXPO 2000. The School of Civil Engineering of Saxion in Enschede, the Netherlands, offers a one-year Bachelors course to foreign students who have a minimum of three years of higher education in a related field of Civil Engineering.
The first semester of Civil Engineering is taught in Deventer. The second semester is taught in Enschede.
The programme consists of 6 units:
1. Induction unit (1 ECTS-credits)
An introduction to the approach, various disciplines, facilities and students of the Saxion School of Environmental Planning and Building.
2. Professional skills training (5 ECTS-credits)
- Research Methodology
- Communication Skills, which comprises two main aspects: communication skills, intercultural relationships and group processes; and proficiency in English: training in oral presentation and writing skills.
3. Sustainable Area Development (8 ECTS-credits)
- Interdisciplinary project for Sustainable Area Development, Environmental Strategic Planning as a policy instrument
- Developing sustainable scenario’s and identifying indicators for environmental and spatial quality
- Research Methodologies of integral area development and Environmental Impact Assessment: prediction of effects, scenario development, Multi-Criteria Analysis, potential solutions.
4. Integrated Water Management (12 ECTS-credits)
Lectures, excursions, skills training, company visits, guest lectures, prepare students for an individual Civil Engineering research. Resulting in an poster display, presentation and article for a water seminar.
5. Capita Selecta Civil Engineering (6 ECTS-credits)
You will be updated on the latest developments in civil engineering, especially Water Construction and Water Management. In the field of hydraulics we offer courses in Hydraulics, River modelling, Mechanics, Geotechniques, Concrete, Coastal Engineering and Water waves (short + long). In the field of water management: Integrated Water Management, Concrete, Geohydrology, Applied Hydraulics, Rivers and Hydrology.
6. Research Project (28 ECTS-credits)
For the thesis project students conduct a research on a current problem in the field of Civil Engineering. Staff members of the School of Environmental Planning and Building in cooperation with the Researchers of International Water Technology support the students.
First of all, our general entry requirements apply. Next to that, to join this programme, the following requirements are necessary:
A minimum of three years of higher education in a related (engineering) field.
- know the basics of mechanics /constructions/materials, mathematics, hydraulics, water management, soil mechanics, surveying;
- be able to use technical computer models for drawing and calculating;
- be able to participate in teamwork, make inventories, interpret and find creative solutions in designing civil works, both from the employer’s and designer’s point of view;
- be familiar with the process from idea to realization within a project.
A Bachelor in Civil Engineering will be able to work in a team and can work as a technical designer, superintendent, constructor, consultant, project leader, calculator, in organizations like:
- Government institutions
- Engineering companies
- Research offices