Student peering through shelf of library

Dutch law requires every citizen to be insured for health care. Read the finer details here.

European Health Insurance Card 
EU/EEA students with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) need to be aware that EHIC only covers emergency health care, and therefore might not cover basic health care.   

Please note that the conditions of the European Health Insurance might differ per country. Please check with your insurance if all medical costs will be covered during your study in the Netherlands.

Additional Health Insurance 
If your EHIC does not cover all your medical costs during your study in the Netherlands, we strongly recommend that you take out additional health insurance. As medical care can be very expensive in the Netherlands.  

Please visit for more information and application.

Liability Insurance 
Next to this, Saxion strongly advises  European students (EU/EAA) to take out third-party liability insurance to cover any accidental damage or harm caused to other persons or property during your study in the Netherlands, for which you are held responsible.  

The usual coverage against liability is up to the amount of € 500,000. The International Office can arrange this insurance for you through AON.  

The costs for this insurance is € 32,- per year. If you would like us to arrange this insurance, you can transfer the additional amount of € 32,- to Saxion before 31 August 2021. Need assistance? Please contact, 

For the first year of your study programme, Saxion will arrange insurance for NON-EU students through AON. The cost for this insurance is covered in the package fee, which includes tuition, visa & residence permit, insurance. 
Please, check this link for more information about the fee structure.

For the following year(s), students can extend the insurance themselves online. Please visit for more information and application.

Brexit became a fact on 1 February 2020 and the transition period will end on 31 December 2020.

Consequences of Brexit for UK students in NL

As a UK student you may already be in NL or you are planning to come to NL for your studies and / or internship. After 1 January 2021, your insurance position will change as a result of Brexit. If you do not take out extra insurance, this may mean that you have to pay all healthcare costs in NL yourself because your EHIC card is no longer valid.

As you may know, negotiations between the EU and the UK are still ongoing. It is therefore not yet clear whether an agreement will be reached. Therefore, keep an eye on important information sources yourself (see below).

UK students who are (already) in NL on 31 December 2020

If you are already in the Netherlands on December 31, 2020, you could apply for an extension of your EHIC in the UK. You will then fall under the withdrawal agreement. For the remainder of your studies, probably until the academic year of August 2021, you will then remain covered under your EHIC. However, this is not a fact.

Aon Advice: To prevent coverage problems, we advise all UK students in NL to take out an Aon Complete(+) from 1 January 2021.

UK students entering NL on or after January 1, 2021

If you come to the Netherlands on or after January 1, 2021, you will be regarded as a 3rd lander. You can therefore no longer claim the EHIC. To avoid high healthcare costs, you will have to take out full private insurance.

Aon Advice: We advise you to take out an Aon Complete(+) in NL from January 1, 2021.

The right insurance advice

To get the right insurance advice, go to the website

By answering the questions, you will receive advice based on your personal situation and based on Laws and Regulations.

Flow chart

For a clear overview, you can check this flow chart

Helpful websites Antwoord/is-mijn-europese-zorgpas-ehic-nog-geldig-na-de-brexit

Take out Aon Student Insurance and Questions

If you have any questions or would like to take out Aon Student Insurance, go to


Insurance not arranged by Saxion 

Students should be aware that Saxion cannot arrange Travel Insurance, Property Insurance (for theft, fire, etc. in your home) or any other type of insurance not mentioned above. 

AON Insurance

Have a look at this video for more information about the AON Student Insurance and find out more.